Saturday, September 18, 2010

What am I here for?--My current personal mission statement.

   In Philippians 3:8b-14, the apostle Paul expressed his personal mission statement: " ...that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (NKJV).    Just as Paul said, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected," and "I do not count myself to have apprehended," I confess that I have not yet met my goals. By God's grace, I desire to live by the following standards and plan that He has laid on my heart.


Realizing that:
  • Without Jesus I can do nothing (John 15:5), and
  • I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13),
and
Understanding that I am at my best when:
  • I have a clear connection with the Holy Spirit
  • I am in situations when I can help people and think creatively, and when
  • I am not the only person responsible for leadership,
I purpose to walk according to the following plan:

  • I will do my best not to let sin or discouragement interrupt my relationship with Jesus.
  • I will strive to have knowledge, wisdom, and compassion so that I can be a blessing to everyone around me.
  • I will seek to learn from the people God has put in my life.
  • I will try to prevent becoming distracted from the main goal, or allowing frustrating circumstances to block my vision of the goal.
  • I will enjoy my work by finding employment where I can help people, and creatively think through problems.
  • I will find enjoyment in my personal life by spending time with my family, talking with fellow Christians, reading the word of God, and taking time to have fun.
  • I will find opportunities to use my natural talents and gifts such as creative thinking, problem solving, and teaching.
  • I will witness to what Christ has done on my behalf.
I will strive to incorporate the following attributes into my life:

  • Passion for God, absolute surrender, attentiveness, boldness, contentment, and decisiveness.

  • Discretion, faith, gentleness, humility, love, and meekness.

  • Orderliness, self-control, sensitivity, truthfulness, and virtue.
  • Love and faithfulness to God, my future wife, my family, and my friends.
I will constantly renew myself by focusing on the four dimensions of my life:

  • Physical: I purpose to use my body to glorify God, to keep it healthy by eating wholesome food and exercising.

  • Spiritual: I purpose to live in complete surrender to the Lord, dedicating every moment to His glory, living in full fellowship with the Holy Spirit, being continually filled with His power.

  • Mental: Thinking only whatever things are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, good, virtuous, and praiseworthy. (Philppians 4:8)
  • Social: Loving my family unselfishly, my friends faithfully, and everyone unconditionally.
My most important future contribution to others will be the gift I have received from God, and that is my life. I can share my life with others by spending time with them, imparting knowledge to them, and learning from them.

At the end of my life I desire that my wife, children, grandchildren, and the friends in whom I have trusted and confided will be able to glorify God and say that God has been my only Source and Strength, and that no one would applaud me.

In a nutshell:
My life is to be spent spreading the gospel of Jesus unto the uttermost part of the world for Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through me because of Christ's command to "be a witness for Him in all the earth".

The desired results of my mission will be:  
1. A wonderful, passionate, lifelong covenant with Jesus.
2. A home in heaven reserved by the blood of my Savior.
3. A host of people knowing God who otherwise would have plunged into eternity without God, being forever tormented by the lack of God's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment